Weird News: Spanish Man Dies After Wine Bar Serves Him Detergent

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:54 pm |
By

Imagine going to your favorite wine bar and ordering a glass of white wine, but when you go to sip it, you feel a terrible burning sensation in your mouth, throat, and stomach. This nightmarish situation led to a tragic death this past weekend in Spain.

Andrés Lorente, a 50-year-old father of two, went to one of his preferred local bars in the Spanish province of Castellón this past Sunday (June 14) when the unthinkable occurred. According to reports, the bar had stored some highly-concentrated, industrial detergent in an empty wine bottle, which had then been put accidentally into the refrigerator. An unknowing waiter used this bottle to pour Lorente a glass, and since the detergent had no scent or distinguished color, nobody caught the mistake.

After taking one sip, Lorente suffered severe burns to his windpipe, esophagus, and stomach. He was rushed to a local health center and later to a hospital where he was declared dead. A gastroenterologist at the hospital said that even small amounts of such an industrial solution can be lethal.

The owner of the bar was arrested but later released after questioning. According to the police, he will have to appear again before a judge, but for now, the situation seems merely to have been a tragic case of negligence.

Time to cut down on the Pinot Grigio.