Almost 70 Dead After Drinking Beer Contaminated With Crocodile Poison

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:27 pm |

Maputo, Maputo, Mozambique, East Africa, Africa

Maputo, Maputo, Mozambique, East Africa, Africa. (Photo by Getty Images)

As of Monday (Jan. 12), at least 69 people have died and roughly 196 have been admitted to a hospital in Mozambique, a country in southeast Africa, after drinking beer that was contaminated with crocodile poison.

The people who drank the beer were attending a funeral on Saturday (Jan. 10).

Pombe, a Mozambican beer, was brewed the day of for the funeral and is made from millet or corn flour. Although, health officials are testing the contaminated beer, it is believed that the crocodile poison was placed in the beer during the funeral process.

The woman who brewed the beer is dead from consumption.

Authorities said that people who drank the beer in the morning were fine, and it was those who consumed after the funeral fell ill.

The incident is still under investigation, but the responsible party is unlikely to be identified.

How did crocodile poison get into the beer? Find out more about the strange tragedy…